- You are alive.
- You are healthy.
- You have people who love you (even if they are not near you at this moment).
- You are courageous (you moved away from home after all!)
- You get to see things others don’t.
- You get to experience new foods.
- You get to travel.
- You have friends around the world – and not just virtual ones!
- You have memories and stories that others would envy.
- Your kids are growing to be global citizens.
- You speak more than one language.
- You get to explore the world.
- You can help others less fortunate than you without having to travel far to do it.
- You can act as a cross-cultural ambassador for your country.
- You are creative (because your life now incorporates so many different ways of doing things).
- You are worldly.
- You have skills you could not have had if you stayed home all your life.
- You know to count your blessings.
- You have patience (even if you think you don’t!)
- You have more opportunities than people back home.
- You can try different wines and different coffees. And don’t forget the dessert!
- You can study and learn something unusual.
- You almost certainly have a novel in you.
- Your friends and family back home admire you.
- You have a fun life.
Even if all of those don’t quite apply to you, there are still enough reasons here to keep in mind — especially when feeling sorry for yourself. Pick the ones that especially speak to you and write them down where you can always see them. And make sure to look at them when the bad mood strikes!
Remember that the FREE Expat Support Day is on the last Friday of each month! Get some inspiration and support through a free 15 minute laser coaching session — reserve your 15 minutes of clarity here.
Want to have more than 25 reasons to be happy? Join our Expat Women Academy and find out how!
Tagged: Choices, Expat, expat women, expatriate, Global Nomads, Happiness, international, Memories, overseas, Success